Monday, February 8, 2021

“The Pit and the Pendulum and Other Stories” by Edgar Allan Poe

A true classic -- 4-1/2 stars

Back from another book reviewing break, I decided to start with something small, “The Pit and the Pendulum and Other Stories,” which contained 4 of Poe’s short works.

The first story, “The Pit and the Pendulum.”  What can be said about this classic?  I will say that, having read this one many, many years ago, I was shocked when [SPOILER ALERT] I found that it actually has a happy ending!  How had I forgotten that?  No details (I’ll only take the Spoiler so far), but it was a definite twist upon Poe’s usual dark tones.

The second story, “The Black Cat.”  I’d never read this one, and it was up to Poe’s reputation.  The final act shared similarities with both “The Tell-tale Heart” (which comes next) and “The Cask of Amontillado,” while providing its own unique spin on both.  It was Poe, through and through.

The third story, “The Tell-tale Heart.”  One of his most famous works, and my favorite of this bunch.  An unsettling exploration into the mind of true insanity.

The final story, “The Premature Burial.”  This was my least favorite, and the reason why I only give this collection 4-1/2 stars rather than 5.  While it was technically a short story, it was came off as more of an essay on premature burials in general.  It, like “The Pit and the Pendulum,” ARGUABLY has more of happier ending, but it just left me feeling a little, “Okay.  I guess that’s it, then.”

And that pretty much sums up this short collection.  Pick it up if you need to kill time without wanting to commit to a longer read.  It’s definitely worth your attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment