Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Bad Blood" by Alan Brooker

Oh, boy ... -- 1 Star (Originally written March 6, 2006)

Since my return to reading, I've been pretty lucky. I've picked up a book or two that wasn't all that great, but I've also been fortunate the other direction and found some real winners ("Velocity" by Dean R. Koontz and "Dream Parlor" by Christopher Andrews, among others). Sadly, "Bad Blood" marks the end of my winning streak.

The premise was border line interesting (I, for one, would have preferred that the plot STAY in space with the astronauts and bear creature). If Amazon allowed half-stars, I MIGHT be inclined to throw in that extra half-point. But I'm afraid that I cannot give this book even two stars.

The FIRST problem lies in the writing. Not even the writing "style," so much as the actual execution. The author clearly did not know the difference between the abbreviation "it's" and the possessive "its." He also seemed deathly afraid of questions marks; the book is FILLED with questions that end in periods. And it is not just dialogue being played that way; the incorrect punctuation overflows into the prose just as often. Finally, there are a large number of quotation marks that ended up facing the wrong way (but that MIGHT be the fault of the printer).

The SECOND problem lies in the ridiculous, out dated characterization of women. I enjoy erotica as much as the next red blooded, middle aged man. But to have EVERY SINGLE female in the book either be an open, sadistic sex pot or a secret, introverted sex pot was absurd. A huge bear monster rips a woman's shirt off; how does she react? Why, she becomes aroused, because the fabric happens to rub across her nipples! Right? After all, we all know that fear of death is an aphrodisiac! Right?

Please! Give me a break!

I had other complaints: American characters saying the word "bloody" as though they were all from the author's (apparent) home of New Zealand is just one of them. But I think I've made my opinion clear.

I am unhappy to give my first one-star review. But if I'm not honest about a really, really BAD book, how can I give good reviews to the ones that deserve it?

Steer clear of this one. Pick up a Koontz or Andrews book instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment