Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Superman: The Never-Ending Battle" by Roger Stern

Not bad, not great. -- 3 Stars (Originally written August 8, 2005)

Overall, I enjoyed "Superman: The Never-Ending Battle" more than "Green Lantern: Hero's Quest" ... but not enough to give it that extra star in the rating.

I usually discuss my most notable likes and dislikes about the books I read, but the fact that I am having trouble with this one says something on its own. The book was an almost perfect "So-So." It was not really good, it was not really bad. There were SMALL elements that I liked, such as Superman's description of how it feels to fly. There were EQUALLY small elements that I did NOT like, such as the over use of Wonder Woman's plane.

But that's just it. These are LITTLE pluses and minuses. With the Green Lantern novel, I thought that the first half was better than the second half. THIS book was pretty much level all the way through. I would think of this book as a "5" out of 10, then as a 6, then back to a 5, then as a 4, the back to a 5. And so on and so on. You get the idea.

In the end, I decided it was just that: A middle of the road book. It was worth the time it took to read. Nothing more and nothing less ... but I guess it ALSO says something that, in the end, I AM now curious about reading the other Justice League of America books.

No comments:

Post a Comment