Sunday, March 15, 2009

"The Howling" by Gary Brandner

A great read. -- 4 Stars (Originally written August 1, 2005)

I saw the movie version of "The Howling" many years ago. The one element which really stands out in my memory was the amazing special effects. It was the first movie to really show a graphic, "realistic" transformation from man to wolf, pulsing skin and all. Before "American Werewolf in London." Before "Thriller."

But that's about ALL I really remember. The amazing transformations, not the story itself. As such, I cannot recall exactly how true to the book the movie was, or wasn't. In a way, this FREED me to enjoy the novel all on its own.

"The Howling" (the book) does a great job setting the mood. The town of Drago is successfully weird and uncomfortable. SO uncomfortable that when Karyn starts wanting to leave, I was grateful that she was not as "slow" as many horror novel characters are. She originally rejects the idea of werewolves, as we all would and should. But then, as she is faced with indisputable evidence of the supernatural, she adapts. It reminded me of George Clooney's character in "From Dusk Til Dawn," where he says that he did not believe in vampires, but he DOES believe his own eyes, and therefore he now MUST believe in vampires. Karyn was a refreshing, strong, adaptable character.

My only complaints are: The ending seemed oddly abrupt, as though there had once been an epilogue that was now cut out. Also, the ONE element of comparison from movie-to-book that I just could not help was that I remembered the werewolves walking upright on their hind legs in the movie, but in the book they go around on all fours. I know its not fair, I know its more realistic too, but I really liked the upright werewolves, and was disappointed when they were different here.

But otherwise, this was a VERY enjoyable read. I got through it in just two days. Of all the books I've read since my return to reading, I think this is my favorite so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment